MY Dive Boat

MY Dive Boat
Avalon for lunch

Friday, June 18, 2010

Couple of Classic Guns from my Collection - Sampson Long Tom - Sampson Short Tom

These are two of the great Sampson spearguns, and were made in Costa Mesa By Herb Sampson. The one on top is the long tom, one on the bottom is the short tom. The Long Tom is complete with the line, Cork, Inflatable float and bands. These guns are both in perfect working order and until a few years ago were still spearing fish on a regular basis. I know for a fact the top one speared a 300lbs black Seabass at Santa Barbara Island. The short tom was and is a white seabass killer.
Check the tip.
I love the tips on these guns.

I inherited these guns, and several more, from my fathers good friend Don Richards. Don was one of the reasons I got into spearfishing. How cool is a guy who owns a knife shop, teaches scuba, dives abalone, races off road, drives a Baja Bug and beats guys up when he has a broken neck? He made a much better friend than an enemy, that's for sure! The stories I heard growing up . . . . .  .. . 

One of my favorites:
Backyard Dons house Sunday morning
The house was located on a giant Costa Mesa lot right next door to a Church
The Church is in full worship mode
It is Crowded, even for a Sunday
The parishioners break into loud song
Song sews the seeds of discontent in Don, you see, he was nursing a bit of hang over.
Don storms over
Breaks in the front of the church . .. . .
Lights up the pastor - tells them to quiet down or he is going to kick the pastor's as#
I can only imagine the horrified looks on the parishioners faces.
What I would have given to be a fly on the wall that day!
Believe it or not this was not an isolated incident -

Cheers

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment